Ace Rental Cars is an established deep-value car rental company with a history spanning back 30 years. Founded in 1987 in Auckland, New Zealand as Ace Tourist Rentals (NZ) Ltd. by John Chatterley and Warrick Purdie, Ace identified the consumer need for an alternative to the high-priced multi-national car rental brands to serve the budget-focused domestic and inbound travel market. The initial fleet comprised of just two second-hand Toyotas.
By the late 90’s with a growing fleet and opportunity for expansion, John’s son Michael purchased a major shareholding and Ace extended its branches to cover Auckland City, Auckland Airport, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch Airport, and Queenstown. The network later expanded to include broker offices to service Dunedin.
In 2003 Ace seized the opportunity to expand operations to Australia, opening a branch in Sandgate, Brisbane, strategically positioned halfway between the CBD and the Airport. With 50% of travellers into Brisbane International airport arriving from New Zealand, the brand was well received and a satellite branch was added to service the Gold Coast Airport.
In 2011 Hertz International purchased Ace as a wholly-owned subsidiary, providing the parent company a new brand in Australia and New Zealand for the off-airport car rental market and ensuring the vision of ongoing growth for the brand.
Ace Rental Cars now operate seventeen branches across fifteen cities throughout Australia and New Zealand. In addition to the core fleet of older vehicles, the company also provide a Premium fleet, featuring brand new vehicles with creature comforts such as Bluetooth and Cruise Control at an attractive price, as Ace sticks to its mission of providing the best value in car rental in Australia and New Zealand
Ace Rental Car Values
Canstar Blue Awards
- Overall customer satisfaction
- Ace proved a five star achiever for overall customer satisfaction in this category ahead of four star recipients Thrifty and Avis, and three star recipients Budget and Hertz.
- Value for money
- Achieving another five star accolade was Ace, this time for value for money. Both Thrifty and Budget earned four stars in this area, and Hertz and Avis finished with three.
- Customer service
- Customers of both Hertz and Avis were most satisfied with the service they received when hiring a car. Both companies received five stars, and were followed by Thrifty four, and Ace and Budget with three.
- Availability of vehicle booked
- A trip can be thrown into disarray if the car (or type of car) you have booked is not available when you need it. Ace excelled in this area, receiving five stars for the availability of vehicles booked. Both Budget and Hertz received four stars each, followed by Thrifty and Avis with three.
- Booking process
- A smooth and simple booking process can be the deciding factor in which car hire company to book with. In this criterion, Ace received a five star rating. Thrifty, Avis and Hertz were next with four star ratings, followed by three star recipient, Budget.
- Transparency of costs and fees
- Ace received another five star rating for the transparency of their hire car costs and fees. They were followed by Thrifty with a four star rating, and three star recipients Avis, Budget and Hertz.
- Availability of accessories
- Do you need a GPS to avoid getting lost in strange cities, or a baby seat for your child? Our five star recipient for the availability of rental car accessories was Avis followed by four star recipients Budget and Hertz, then three star achievers Ace and Thrifty.
You can find out more on the Canstar Website
Rent The Experience
A car’s a car. A moving metallic shell capable of travelling at relatively high speeds from one point to another, safely harbouring people and said people’s material goods en route. It’s a means of getting from A to B, a functional requirement, a literal vehicle to something much bigger. An experience.
An experience is something that helps to deﬁne us, that inspires us, that makes us more alive, more human. It’s a breath of mountain fresh air. The feel of a wind on our face. The ﬁltered orange glow of a breaking dawn. The pulse-racing rush of adrenaline, the quivering anticipation of a journey unknown.
An experience is something that validates our sense of who we are. It becomes weaved into the fabric of our existence. It can be brought to mind on a whim to help us escape to a better time. It lives on in us. Forever.
Ace Rentals Cars. Rent the experience.
Read more about each experience - Beach Hopping - Memory Making - Town Painting - Grid Escaping - Snow Shredding
All Ace New Zealand car rentals include…
- Unlimited KMs
- 24/7 mechanical assistance
- All New Zealand road tolls
- FREE booking ammendments
- Quick & easy online booking
- Complimentary shuttle pick-up from airport locations
- Locations Across New Zealand & Australia
- Open 7 Days a week
- Call centre
- After hours support
- Free basic car insurance
- Late model and brand new vehicles
- Free additional drivers with Ace Plus insurance cover
- No hidden costs
How are Ace’s rental cars so affordable?
- We operate a simple but large fleet of vehicles aged brand new to a few years old.
- Our branches are outside of airport terminals with a complimentary customer shuttle
- We do everything we can to keep our costs down
We save money & we pass on the savings to you! Book now & save.
What kind of rental cars can I hire from Ace in NZ?
- Super Saver – a mix of makes and models. These cars are 10+ years old and/or 180K to 220 KMs. They’re well maintained and if you are on a tight budget and looking for a cheap rental car they are the perfect choice - check out our How to save on car rental on your New Zealand road trip
- Regular Categories – our great value options: hatchbacks, sedans, station wagons, SUVs
- Premium Categories – brand new to near new fleet with features such as Bluetooth, Cruise Control, etc.
- Sleeper Saver – our value-priced camper / sleeper / touring van solution featuring wide and comfy sleeping berths
I need a rental car in New Zealand. How do I get the best price on my car rental?
- Look at our deals page for current promo codes and special offers on rental cars
- Try to travel and book during non-peak periods
- Book in advance
Where can I rent a car with Ace in New Zealand and Australia?
- We have full-service branches in Auckland City, Auckland Airport, Wellington Airport, Christchurch Airport, Queenstown Airport, and Picton Interislander Ferry Terminal. You can also rent a car from our partner office in Dunedin Airport.
- Rent a car with us in Australia in Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns Airport, Cairns CBD, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.